Tuesday, June 2, 2009
North American Baha'i Temple
Here's a video on the North American Baha'i Temple, located outside Chicago, IL. Ironically enough, I actually went there over a long weekend (Reading Period) during Winter Term!
This is a picture that I took of the temple when I was there in mid-February.
This 2-part video, called "The Dawning Place" provides background on the history and significance of the Baha'i Temple. This video honestly doesn't do the Temple justice. It was absolutely awe-inspiring in terms of the effect from inside the space. The architecture is magnificent and so intricately designed and constructed. One thing the video doesn't mention are the quotes written around the inside of the dome (presumably from Baha'u'llah) which are beautiful both in the language and in their presentation. The space is very still and peaceful, but in a majestic way. I felt almost like I was intruding on the space with my footsteps since the acoustic was so live and every step could be heard! While I feel more spiritually connected in less awesome places (in the literal sense of the word), I can see how many would find a strong connection to a higher power and to each other in that space.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're very lucky to have had the chance to visit the Baha'i House. I can only imagine how the huge, as you said "awesome" spaced can inspire a connection to a higher power. It was certainly well-designed for that purpose.
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed a place of note in the Baha'i Faith - and the architecture of each House of Worship has a way of inspiring. But note in addition to these temples, we also have some Shrines. They are a bit further away but perhaps someone form the group can go there someday. On a much smaller scale there are also a few grave sites where Baha'is take note of the lives lived. But Baha'is are also affirmative about the spirituality in nature and seek to live in balance with it. The gardens on Haifa have allot of care about such matters. And of course the Gardens
ReplyDelete